Dad (Alan Griffiths), my sis and me with former Prime Minister Gough Whitlam
I grew up in a home where Gough Whitlam loomed large.
His education policies allowed my dad to study Law and Economics at University; the first in his family to do so.
We met him several times and on one occasion I mentioned I wanted to become a journalist.
“An honourable profession,” the former Prime Minister replied (pretty sure I detected a smirk).
Following his passing overnight at age 98, women’s groups across the nation are applauding his contribution.
So I thought you may appreciate a quick breakdown of what the big guy actually did for women in this country.
(You’ll be the super smart one at your next dinner party)
WHITLAM’S ACHIEVEMENTS FOR WOMEN
- INTRODUCED EQUAL PAY
- PASSED MATERNITY LEAVE ACT
- FOUGHT TO ENSURE WOMEN’S WORKPLACE CONDITIONS WERE FAIR
- REOPENED EQUAL PAY CASE – DECISION IN 1972 SAW 500,000 WOMEN BECOME ELIGIBLE FOR FULL PAY
- EXTENDED ADULT MINIMUM WAGE TO INCLUDE WOMEN
- APPOINTED WOMEN’S ADVISOR TO THE PRIME MINISTER
- REMOVED ‘LUXURY’ TAX ON CONTRACEPTIVES
- PASSED FAMILY LAW ACT – ESTABLISHED FAMILY COURT
- INTRODUCED THE SINGLE MOTHER’S BENEFIT
He was one of the reasons I became a journo and enjoy speaking about social justice issues occasionally on this blog.
Love to hear what your thoughts are..
VALE, Gough Whitlam.
Like this? Head to the interviews section and read about some amazing women..